GEC Alsthom Works
This was a major factory and office complex, covering 27 acres and formerly operated by Messrs GEC Alsthom on a prominent site on the A580 East Lancashire Road.
The project had to be completed in two separate phases, as the western (approximately 20%) end of the site was in use during the first phase of the works.
The buildings to be removed comprised approx 70,000 sq metres of double skinned asbestos cement cladding on a multibay steel post and frame structure, together with a four storey rc framed office block.
Our Works involved:
- Arranging isolation of all services to the site, whilst maintaining / protecting services to the operational area.
- Decontamination and removal of redundant transformers and other plant.
- Safe removal and disposal of asbestos materials.
- Demolition of 4 storey office block.
- Forming breach to separate the operational (phase 2) area from the demolition area.
- Safe removal & disposal of 70,000 sqm double skinned asbestos cement roofing / cladding.
- Dismantling of steel framed multibay factory buildings.
- Site clearance and enabling works to assist with follow on construction works, comprising:
- excavation and removal of all hardstandings, slabs, foundations, ducts and underground services.
- On-site recycling of all suitable brick and concrete arisings by crushing and screening to client’s specification, then stockpiling for later re-use.
- Installation of new drains to the site.